Grasmere Church and Cherry Blossom
Grasmere Church, dedicated to St. Oswald the Northumbrian King, stands on the bank of the River Rothay.
The oldest part of the present church is thought to have dated from the twelfth or thirteenth century. Wordsworth who used to live in the Rectory at Grasmere at one time describes the church in his poem “The Excursion”:
“Not raised in nice proportions, was the Pile,
But large and massy, for duration built,
With pillars crowded and the roof upheld,
By naked rafters intricately crossed”
To commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953 a flowering cherry tree was planted in the churchyard by the two oldest Grasmere born residents, Robert Peel of Lancrigg Lodge and his brother Penny Peel of Field Side. It is a beautiful sight and of course we have many Japanese visitors who enjoy the Sakura blossom.
Just beside Grasmere Church is Grasmere Daffodil Garden which can be seen from the graveyard.
And from the garden you can see the bridge over the River Rothay with the tea gardens to the side. A nice place to sit and admire the cherry tree and the local ducks.